Huevos estrellados is a dish that has a special place in my heart. As well as being very impressive when you’re able to pronounce it, it’s very simple, but very tasty.
It’s special to me because I cooked it when Mr Scrumptious and I started dating. I was at his place one night and it got to be incredibly late before we started thinking of food. We must have had other things on our minds! He had next to nothing in the fridge and was just getting ready to order pizza, when I poked my head into the kitchen. I elbowed him out of the way and whipped up huevos estrellados (the first time I’d ever cooked it, by the way!). Happily, it turned out okay and Mr Scrumptious enjoyed it, and my company, enough to see me again. That was nearly three years ago now.
I really advocate chopping your vegetables in advance so you can hurl them into the pan quickly.
1 red onion, sliced
1 shallot, sliced (optional)
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 boiling-sized white potatoes, peeled and cut into long slices
Small slices of bell pepper (optional)
Plenty of olive oil, or the oil from your sundried tomatoes
Chilli powder, or chopped fresh mild chillies, if you prefer
Mediterranean herbs to taste (I favour plenty of oregano)
Butternut squash, diced or sliced, about a handful
Chorizo, sliced, about two handfuls
Sudried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- Briefly parboil the sliced potatoes for a few minutes. Toward the end of the parboiling, throw in the slices of butternut squash.
- Throw your spices into the bottom of your frying pan and warm them slightly.
- Add the oil, the onion, shallot, and garlic to the pan and fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chorizo, potato, and butternut squash, and fry until the chorizo is slightly blackened. The vegetables will visibly absorb the oil. Give the potatoes and squash a few minutes, then throw in the pepper, if you’re using it. Add herbs as desired.
- Crack the eggs directly on top of the vegetables and fry gently until the eggs solidify.
- After a couple of minutes, use your spatula to quarter the mixture and flip over each quarter to ensure it’s cooked thoroughly.
- Season as desired and serve on a bed of salad.